Pinot grigio 2020
DOC Südtirol, Cantina Colterenzio, 750 ml
Pale golden yellow with green tinge. The nose is floral and fruity with lychee, apricot and mango chutney. The wine is forward, light and refreshing on palate with a lime-freshness finish. A nice wine for summer and outdoor.
The vineyards of the village of Schreckbichl, or Colterenzio in Italian, near Girlan are among the oldest vineyards in Europe. The origin lies in the Roman estate Cornelianum of a Roman named Cornelius. From this, almost 1000 years later, the present name Girlan or Coriano developed.
In 1960, 28 wineries and estates from Schreckbichl, Girlan and Frangart founded the Schreckbichl/Colterenzio Winery. Under the management of Luis Raifer, the cooperative developed into one of South Tyrol's flagship businesses. In 2010, his son Wolfgang took over the management of the cantina, which today has around 300 cooperative members.
Anyone who has ever visited the picturesque and hospitable South Tyrol knows that wine is inseparably linked to this magnificent landscape, to the culture and traditions of this land. The winegrowers, and Wolfgang Raifer in particular, feel obliged to preserve and cultivate all of this. Consequently, the cooperative members have to work according to strict prescribed guidelines and environmentally friendly methods of integrated viticulture. In all production steps, from cultivation to bottling, traditions have their place as well as the most modern techniques according to the latest findings: from the traditional pergola (a kind of pergola) to the modern new winery built in 2011 with a photovoltaic system to generate clean energy.
The enormous diversity of landscapes, microclimates and soil conditions of the Alto Adige offers optimal growing conditions for a large number of different grape varieties. Lagrein, which we present to you here, thrives best in the warm Bolzano valley basin on deep river sand scree soils. Pinot Bianco likes it cooler, at higher altitudes, on gravelly, partly very calcareous soils.
Try these two typical representatives of South Tyrol! The Cantina also offers a wide range of wines in three quality lines: the classic line (single-vineyard wines without wood ageing), the Praedium line (single-vineyard wines) and the Cornell line (barrique wines).
The aromas of the forest
Pinot gris is, like the Pinot blanc, a colour mutation of Pinot noir. All three have the same genetic profile. On occasion, red, grey, pink and white, berries can be observed on the same vine stock. Some are even striped! The best Pinot grises introduce themselves opulently with ripe peach and apricot aromas, slightly woody notes and a bit of smoke. These characteristics are presented, for example, in examples from Alsace, Grauburgunders from Germany, or the representatives from Valais, where the grapes are erroneously referred to as Malvoisie. In Italy, Pinot grigio from South Tyrol and Friuli win out. Wines from this variety are great culinary companions. They get along superbly with autumnal dishes such as risotto with mushrooms or chestnuts.
Alto Adige: Alpenweine mit südlichem Charme
Am Alpenübergang gelegen verfügt das Südtirol über eine grosse Palette an Mirkroklimata und Bodentypen. Dies macht es möglich, dass hier über 20 verschiedene Sorten optimale Bedingungen vorfinden. Vernatsch, Lagrein und Gewürztraminer gelten als alteingesessene Südtiroler Gewächse, doch auch die Familie der Burgundergewächse finden hier ideale Bedingungen vor. In wichtigen Weinführern wie etwa dem «Gambero Rosso» erhält das Südtirol regelmässig die meisten Höchstbewertungen («Tre Bicchieri») im Verhältnis zur Rebfläche in ganz Italien.
Italy – Where wine is a way of life
The Italian wine regions are extremely diverse, and this is made clear in their wines. Established varieties such as Merlot, Syrah, and Sauvignon can be found on just 15 percent of the total vine growing area. The remaining 85 percent is reserved for autochthonous, indigenous varieties. More than 2,000 different grape varieties are grown under diverse conditions and pressed with various techniques into wines that reach the top tier of the international wine market.